[APD] re: etching

Message: 11
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:52:01 -0600
From: "Candy M." <cry_little_sister at hotmail_com>
Subject: [APD] re: etching To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

Glass is actually porous. You can buy a product (rain dance i think makes it) designed to "seal" the pores of glass so that water "sheets" off of it. Perhaps someone can find out if this product is toxic to fish/plants. If it is not it may be the perfect answer.

Candy

Glass has no significant porosity in its normal form. The sheeting has to do with surface wetting properties. A bit of oiliness or other hydrophobic charactristics will make water bead up. A little detergent (or the more expensive "Rain Dance") will break that film and make the water sheet.

Neither case will keep the condensed (i.e., distilled) water from dissolving the more soluble fractions of the materials in ordinary soda-lime glass and redepositing them elsewhere as it evaporates.

I'd just spray the glass with clear Krylon acrylic paint, if it bothered me. [I suspect it would be cheaper to replace the glass every few years.]

Wright

--
Wright Huntley -- 760 872-3995 -- Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514

"If people are basically evil, the last thing you'd want is a big
government staffed by those evil folks exercising control over you."
  -- David Bergland