[APD] Re: A nasty shock

> Message: 7
> Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:15:08 -0000
> From: Andrew McLeod <thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: [APD] A nasty shock
> > I just tried to work out how much my Amazonian biotope is going to cost.
> >
> This adds up to about £300!
> I'm not sure my Mum is going to agree to that...
>
> --
> Andrew McLeod

When I started my first few tanks just over a year ago, I calculated that I
spent about $10/gallon, so the 29 gallon tank was about $300. The tanks were
all used, some filters were too. A lot of that was for equipment that I
eventually retired, like air pumps, carbon filled cartridges and such. The
lights for plants are expensive, especially starting with new hood and then
retrofitting them for power compacts.

I suggest that you contact the many fish keeping societies in the UK and see
if anyone has extra equpment that they will sell you cheaply. I've collected
a lot of good stuff from newspaper ads and garage sales, but with the
transporation problems a kid typicaly has, that may not be as easy for you.
Still, most serious fish keepers have excess materials that need to turned
into cash to finance other projects.

You may be able to save on the fertilizer costs by using dry chemicals
instead of prepared solutions. Again, other planted tank owners might be
able to sell you materials cheap, so you don't get stuck buying large
amounts of chemicals.

Ann Viverette, too far away to offer you some of  mine