[APD] Re:Deposit or Etching?

* From: "Rachel Sandage" <rachelsor at hotmail_com>

So what do I do now? I think that is what has happened on my top glass.

I have had a big problem with etching and redepositing of silica on my top covers. I need the top covers to keep from losing CO2 rapidly. I was thinking of putting some kind of clear acrylic or epoxy coating on the tank covers, but John T. Fitch suggested that I try a thin coating of silicone. That seemed like the best idea to me because I know that aquarium silicone is inert and does not have anything that might be poisonous. I have tried the silicone, and it works well and hardly reduces the light coming through at all. I clean and dry the glass thoroughly, dab on little bits of silicone, spread them out as much as possible with my finger tips, and then smooth the surface with a single edge razor blade. The etching and redepositing of silica is entirely prevented, and deposits from tank water that splashes up on the bottom of the cover and dries out can be cleaned off with some soap solution and a cloth.

I have had five tank covers with silicone coatings for two years now, and no problems have developed. The silicone does not come off, and it can be kept clean.

--
Paul Krombholz in cool, sunny, central Mississippi