[APD] Java fern plantlets

This is my first experience with Java ferns, and I have had several leaves
(with plantlets on them) break off.  How do I get these plantlets started on
their own? Is there a size they should be before they are detached from the
mother leaf?  I understand these plants should be attached to a solid
object, and have been fastening the adults to driftwood or petrified wood;
should the plantlets also be attached?

Here in New Orleans the water seems exceptionally hard.  Though I have had
success with aquatic plants when I lived in other areas - especially in the
soft water of Little Rock - I am having problems here.  Java ferns and
Cryptociryne ciliata are both doing well, though, and to my surprise a
Crypt. wendtii also seems to have taken off.

Kenneth Quinn