[APD] RE: K+/Ca

>>  >I really  believe your method is the simpliest way to avoid problems,
but
> >that not explain why when K is high, in  a lot of tanks  have more or les
> >the same simptoms. Next time when I will have distorted grow, I will try
> >cure it not reducing my K dose as I normally do. Next I will ad more Ca.
If
> >is a solution ¿What will be a explanation if K doesnt interfere Ca
uptake?
> >Sorry but my English is not good enogh to explain my thoughts :(
>
> I'm not sure what the explaination will be because I do not have that
> __problem__ in any of my observations, nor did anyone till about 2 years
> ago.
> We were adding lots of K+ liberally for a number of years, distorted new
> growth never appeared in my tanks or those that I took care of.
> No one really mentioned anything except K+ could do no wrong.
>
> One guy came in and claimed high K+ caused algae, something like more than
> 2-5ppm or so. Shawn Prescott I believe, but few had any issues and many of
> the folks on the list that played around with the K+  where excellent
> growers, not newbies.
>
> In order for me or anyone to figure the problem out, you need to be able
> reproduce it based on your measurements.
> I'm sorry but that has not occured with myself.
>
> I do KNOW the K+ levels I am adding, I KNOW the source water composition,
> KNOW I have some of the problem plants(Ammannia, Nesaea, Eustralis,
> swords), I KNOW I have done this routine for a long time, I KNOW I can get
> Amano quality plants without lowering the K+, using Eco
complete/fertiplant
> or whatever.
>
> So like PO4 must cause algae like so many folks said prior, if high K+
> causes this how come I do not have this problem.
>
> That way since I know what I am adding, and it's not occuring, I have a
> much stronger arguement for saying it's not K+.
> A whole host of things could cause the what you see as Ca++ deficiency,
not
> just one obvious thing.
>
> Many have claimed/competent aquarist also, this occurs but I cannot
> reproduce in my tanks.
> It's not one quick test, I've done this for a long time. High/low light
> etc.
>
> So it's something else besides high K+ and or Ca.
>
> Folks with high Ca and low Ca seem to have the same issue so this is
> leading me to give the K+ blocking the Ca++ idea less worth as an
arguement
> since we have found a fair amount of evidence suggesting Ca in enough high
> enough concentrations should ameliorate this problem.
>
> I really don't see how this can occur as far as a transportor enzyme as
the
> valencies are different, Cu and Fe can use the same transporter in plants
> for example.
>
> I suppose high K+ might supress something else, not Ca++ for the reason's
> stated here, but why don't/haven't I seen it yet if that is the case?
> Why can I not reproduce it?
>
> I have great tap with low Ca and no K+/PO4 etc, I can easily add as much
Ca
> and K+ to the plants in question.
> But why don't I have the same issues?
>
> Something else is going on there.
>
> Another question, why did this occur two years ago and not before?
> Why and how did everyone else miss this distorted growth issue?
>
> Regards,
> Tom Barr

Tom, I understoood the first time you dont have this problem ;-) but it
doesnt means the problem doesnt exist. I thing it doesnt explain nothing but
I,m a succesful hobbyst with more than 25 years on the way, the last 10 only
with plants. If i,m telling that is because "I thing" I,m eable to
understand how it works an aquarium at all levels (for that an because I,m a
biologyst too).  The main problem is I cant measure exactly my nutrients
levels, then I,m blind :-(. I,m tryng to know WHY happens not HOW to avoid.
;-)

Which other nutrient than Ca can produce distorted grow? Boron? Another
explantation possible beside nutrients uptake?

Best Regards
Antonio Trías