[APD] Open Top light loss distance (was deposits vs etching)

Steve and all,

How far above your tanks do you hang your lights?  I have been thinking
of trying an open top and am wondering what the ideal distance would be.

With a cover glass you get some light loss due to reflection and even
more due to deposit build up on the glass.  With no glass cover and
lights too close would you then get light loss due to deposit build up
on the bulbs themeselves and on your reflector?  I suppose this would be
less critical if the bulbs are replaced regularly but the reflector
would still be an issue.

Having them further away would minimize this buildup but then you lose
light secondary to more of it just missing the tank and shining on the
floor and around the room.

What compromise do people recommend for distance?

Regards,
Tony

Message: 2