RE: [APD] Deposit or Etching?

Rachel, Wright can only use his immense powers to do good:-) So given
that, you will want to replace these tops with new ones. Go to a
glass place and have them made from 1/8" windowpane should suffice. Unless
you have 20 pounds-plus Maine Coon cats that like to jump up on your tanks.
Then 1/4" plate is advised (the price will go up correspondingly). I've
since gone to eggcrate (fluorescent diffusers) that I can cut myself. There
is a dropdown in aesthetics: the white kinda clashes with the blacktrimmed
tanks and light strip (why-oh-why can't they make this stuff in black or
charcoal-gray?) but any whitish condensate that forms on it would take some
extreme peering to see. If I didn't keep killies that like to jump, I
wouldn't
have a topcover at all. Wasn't it the dear Mr. Quackenbush that said the
first thing that ends up in the dumpster from a new tank is the glass cover?

After being tantalised with Tom Barr's new hood design idea, I've been
toying
with making my light strips elevated about 4 inches off the tank using
plexiglass
feet. Hope to see his pictures soon (hint-hint):)

Bill

Wright Huntley wrote, in part,

"Please note that some deposits are not. The distilled water that can
condense on the cover glass and above the water line is highly solvent,
and can actually dissolve the glass, leaving a whitish etch that looks
just like a deposit. No acid will really cure that. [Hydrofluoric will
smooth it, but it is *really* unsafe to use. :-)]"

So what do I do now? I think that is what has happened on my top glass.

-Rachel