RE: [APD] RE:Glass Cleaner/scrubber pads

To Wright's excellent advice I'd like to add that nylon scrubber
pads will scratch the glass whereas cellulose ones like O-Cel-O,
do not, that is, at the same amount of pressure applied. I found
this out the hard way when cleaning algae and diatoms off the front
glass. Nylon and cellulose are both polymers but cellulose is less
adamantine (because it can't crystallize?) O-Cel-O's cardboard
wrapper recommends not using it on glassware, but I haven't
had a problem using it. I believe it was Wright who made this
suggestion originally on killietalk.

Bill

1. Razor blade for any thicker stuff.
2. The vinegar works pretty well, and is harmless in any tank with a
decent amount of buffering. [If pH wants to crash because you don't have
that, just add some baking soda to keep pH up until the next water change.]

Diluting the vinegar with tank water will render it ineffective, so do
lower the water below the deposits before attacking them. Keep the
vinegar in a scrubber pad, and out of the water as much as possible.

Please note that some deposits are not. The distilled water that can
condense on the cover glass and above the water line is highly solvent,
and can actually dissolve the glass, leaving a whitish etch that looks
just like a deposit. No acid will really cure that. [Hydrofluoric will
smooth it, but it is *really* unsafe to use. :-)]

Wright

--
Wright Huntley -- 760 872-3995 -- Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514

"If people are basically evil, the last thing you'd want is a big
government staffed by those evil folks exercising control over you."
   -- David Bergland