RE: [APD] RE: Fishless cycling with (NH4)2 SO4

> Why not do the mulm?
> Why wait 3 weeks?
>
> (NH4)2SO4 works fine for a source for NH4 fishless cycling.
>
> I'd be cautious dosing NH4 into any tank with fish or plants though.
> Generally a bad idea for most.
> Mulm/eastablished filter/old tank water is the easiest stuff to use,
> requires NO wait, NO testing.
>
> Regards,
> Tom Barr

I did take an old filter from an Eclipse 3 and toss it in the tank a while
back. That's about as close to mulm as I have from a tank not infested with
BGA.

I don't plan on adding fish until the NH4/NH3 levels are zip. I am
wondering about keeping the bacterial population at the right levels after
stopping the ammonium sulfate. I've seen a recently cycled tank crash after
relatively small changes in load. I'm guessing there was not enough NH4/NH3
or NO2 to sustain the populations. It seems odd however that the tank would
completely recycle.

Phil Bunch