[APD] trace element problem. Solved?

Hi All,

Last week, I posted a question about persistent chlorosis in a wide variety
of plants.  The problem had persisted for months, despite regular addition of
fairly large volumes of Flourish and Flourish Iron, and necessitated regular
replacement of stem plants which died.

I had suspected that the iron in the Flourish was, for some reason,
unavailable to the plants.  So, for the past week, I have using a product
containing iron chelated with EDTA rather than gluconate.  I have continued
to dose with Flourish Trace and KNO3 as usual.  The results are startling.
Rotala indica and a stunted amazon sword have greened up nicely.  Hygrophila
difformis has started producing large, highly dissected leaves instead of
small leaves similar to emersed growth.

My best guess is that the bacteria in the undergravel filter were digesting
the gluconate in the Flourish and allowing the iron to precipitate before the
plants had a chance to use it.  Presumably, the EDTA is less affected by
bacterial action.  Does that make sense?

Nick
--
Nicholas Plummer
nickplummer at att_net