[APD] Re: Ammonia and Soil Substrates

Steve Pituch writes: "I found out that ammonia is released when chloramine
is broken up by dechlorinators. So the ammonia spike after the water
changes I have been doing were caused by this."

But I thought you said that this ammonia spike only occurs in soil-based
tanks, not your other tanks. (This was the main reason I didn't suggest
chloramine as the culprit.)

So the question remains: why does the chloramine seem to have a different
effect in your soil-based tanks than in non-soil tanks? Your fish in the
non-soil tanks shouldn't be invigorated by elevated ammonia levels either.

- Jim