[APD] RE:non CO2 plant tank

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:52:10 -0500, Thomas Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net> wrote:
(cut)
30W single Bulb?
This tank is how long?
I'm assuming the 25 gal to be a 25T and 2ft long.
2x20W would be ideal.

I think this tank is actually a 25 L, perhaps the same dimensions as a 29
gal, but a little shorter.
If so, you can use another bulb, maybe a 20w if it'll fit.
If you have a customer wood hood/box, you can raise the lights about 2-4
inches above the surface to lower the intensity and also to spread out the
light better so it'll have the effect of slight less light, so you can do
that with 2x30w if you wish.

Actually it's a 36"x15"x12" tank, and it's at least 80 litres (not precisely sure about how many gallons, US or UK). I got the 30W because it was going to have goldfish in, but then half of them died. It's a 36" 30W bulb, and that doesn't seem that uncommon at my online fish shop (Hagen also do some, and I think Arcadia do to). It could be something to do with the different labelling of bulbs in Europe/US (I know watts are universal), maybe they're just less optimistic about the wattage over here? I haven't actually got a hood, so I have to build one, but I know how to do that (sort of).
Incidentally, I have a proper aquarium 'Daylight' bulb, but it seems to have a lot of light in the green spike in its spectrum (it's an Interpet Daylight Plus with the spectrum printed on it), which would mean it would not be fantastic as a plant bulb (although presumably still better than Cool Whites).
Thanks! :)

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk