Re: [APD] Re: Ammona and Soil Substrates

--- Steven Pituch <spituch at ev1_net> wrote:
> Jim, thanks for the reply.  I have more information.
>
> I'm not familiar with the acidification but I know from
> D. Walstad's book
> that the total amount of ammonium and ammonia in a tank
> are in equilibrium.
> At a PH of 7 and at a PH of 8, the total amounts of these
> two compounds are
> the same, but the amount of ammonia is 10 times greater
> at a PH of 8 than at
> 7.

The diff in ammonia vs ammonium is slightly changed as the
pH changes. Unfortunately, ammonia is toxic at relatively
low levels. I can send anyone the chart that was in The
Aquatic Gardener (TAG) a couple issues back that shows the
relative concentrations as a function of pH if anyone wants
to see it and doesn't have the TAG issue ( Volume 16,
Number 3 -- July-Sept. 2003).

The basic values for the chart are:
the percentage of ammonia & ammonium that occurs as ammonia
at 20 degrees C is:

 pH            %ammonia
7.0              0.5
7.5              1.5