Re: [APD] Mulm Generators/or mulm's the word

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 08:06:31 -0600, william ruyle <inquartata at comcast_net> wrote:

Andrew, what you are saving after decanting would probably be adequate
to inoculate the bottom layer of say a 10 gallon. The bacteria in the
mulm is mesophilic (50-110F) and wouldn't like being placed in the freezer
for storage. I've added Stress-Zyme by AP to the bottom layer in a slurry
of mulm that yielded great results (using half the recommended dosage on
the bottle).

Bill

Sorry, forgot to mention that I was interested in starting much larger tanks than the tank producing the mulm (hence the problem). Specifically, I have a small 36"x15"x12" that's holds about 80 litres of water (it's currently sitting dry outside waiting for home redecoration), and then I would in future like a much larger tank (50-100 gallons). It didn't occur to me to freeze it, I would have just left it either to dry out or in a bucket with water.
Also, since I already own a substrate heating coil (having picked it up on eBay), I plan to use this, but if I put a larger quantity of peat in, would this help tetras e.t.c. as the water is being circulated past peat? I'm probably going to use sand/laterite for my first tank because it's harder to get Flourite in the UK, at least I haven't found any online stores that seem to stock it (although I did suggest www.aquatics-online.co.uk to Seachem because I can recommend them as a customer).

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk