-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com]On Behalf Of Andrew McLeod
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2004 7:15 AM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: [APD] Mulm Generators

Tom Barr recommends using mulm and peat in a Flourite substrate, doesn't
he? I have a 18"x12"x10" gallon goldfish tank with three small goldfish
and I was wondering if they would ever generate enough mulm to add. When I
gravel vac, I get a lot of horrible-looking stuff mixed in with a good
deal of goldfish poo. But although (after a few months) it can cover the
whole of the bottom of the bucket in a thin layer, I wouldn't have thought
that this was enough. But can mulm be stored? If I decant of the water and
pour the dregs into a bucket, and add more each time, would it turn the
remaining fish poo into mulm, and would it still be any good? Would it
matter if it dried out? Tom Barr recommended 1/4 of wet stuff per square
foot (2-3 times this amount for a non-CO2/carbon enriched tank). Any
guesses how long this would take to make?

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk