[APD] RE: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 4, Issue 109

Hi Karen,

Happy holidays to you and your family.

"So the bottom line is, don't get your knickers in a twist over ich, and for HEAVEN sake, don't fear water changes!"

I agree with most of what you said. However, I don't think any of us fear water changes. We have been around long enough to realize that a good water change can solve a lot of things and should be considered a good thing.

What I draw an issue with is having to do large weekly water changes to counter the large nutrient input. As I mentioned before, I would not like to tell a friend that is looking to get into planted aquariums that he has to be ready to committ to 50% weekly water changes. This is especially true if they do not have easy access to a semi automatic, hose system and must rely on buckets.

What I would likely tell them is to use the mega dosing method until they get the hang of things and can afford to invest in good test kits. Then begin to adjust nutrient input levels accordingly.

For what it's worth, I routinely do 25% water changes every 2-3 weeks, but have gone 4-5 weeks when things get busy.

Regards,

Art Giacosa