[APD] RE: Reggie's tank

> Now I am fighting a different kind of algae.  I have a lot of green
> filamentous algae which is very soft and easy to remove.  I can rub it
off
> the plant leaves without damaging them.  I've also started getting some
BGA,
> which I have never had before.  I have been keeping up with my dosing and
> water changes, filter cleanings, etc.  I suspect that I need to slightly
> tweak one of my dosed nutrients.  I am currently dosing as follows:
>
> 1/4 tsp KNO3 (3x week)
> 1/4 tsp K2SO4 (after water change only)
> a couple rice grains worth of KH2PO4 (3x week)
> 7 liquid mL Plantex solution (made from 2 tbsp. dissolved in 200 mL)(3x
> week)

Reduce the plantex to 4 mls 3x a week(I dilute mine to 2 tblsp to 500mls of
water).
Reduce the KNO3 to 2x a week for now.
Up your CO2 a tad, maybe a .1pH units.
Clean your filter, trim the tank up good.

> I see some pearling, but the algae has been growing back so fast
(covering
> most plants in about 3 days) that it seems to smother the plants.  Growth
> has definately improved, so I know I'm on the right track.

You likely have Oedogonium/Rhizoclonium.
3 day Blackouts are effective on these and certainly on BGA.

Make sure when you do pruning, uprooting etc, do a water change _right
after_ you have done all the mainteneance.
Not before or skip it etc.

> I have been changing about 5 gallons of water 3 days after I do the big
> water change.  I do so because I get in the tank to remove algae, then
have
> to siphon the removed algae out, necessitating replacement water.  Does
this
> affect/negate the "Barr method"?  Am I somehow undoing what I have dosed
by
> these small water changes?

Not really becuase you are dosing to excess and it is unlikely you have low
K+.

> I am encouraged to see the progress, but would like to know how I can
> improve this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> thanks,
> Reggie

Algae etaers will also help. You likely did some work on the tank a week or
so before the latest round of algae came to roost. Make sure you clean up
after you prune with a water change etc.
Cleaning the filter, double check the CO2 (Both pH and KH...not just one)
add algae etaers, remove what algae is there etc.
CMS does not have any Boron either, perhaps dosing with a little Flourish
etc will help also.
You can attack using the above suggestions, it generally will give after a
1-3 weeks and clean up well.

Regards,
Tom Barr