Re: [APD] VHOs, NOs and Oh Nos

Oh no. It's hard to say what will happen unless we know how
the ballast in you lamp behaves with VHO bulbs.  The way
fluorescent bulbs and ballasts behave is a result of some
iteratction between the two. As a rule, a ballast won't
handle both normal output (NO) and very high OUtput (VHO)
bulbs unless it severly overdrives one or underdrives the
other, or both. If you want to get the best performance
from your bulbs, as the manufacturer intended, match bulbs
and ballasts.

RE ballats that suppposedly handle anything you throw at
them, it's cheaper and you get better performance overall
if you just buy ballasts that match your bulbs, evenif yo
change bulbs and need to buy a new ballast to match.

Fluoresecnts lamps are rather forgiving and so are
ballasts, so very often, missmatches will still light but
either output is reduced and bulb life
prolonged(underdriven ) or output is increases and bulb
life is drastically reduced (overdriven).

VHOs are an older design than Power Compacts and T5s which
are more like High Output bulbs. They are more efficient
than VHOs, retain their spectral output much longer, and
continue to light and illuminate for much longer -- of
course, that holds only when operated onthe approriate
ballasts.

Scott H.
--- ktlau <ktlau at netvigator_com> wrote:
> Can someone help to clarify my concept on High Output
> Fluorescent tube
> as follow:
> "By replacing my ordinary fluorescent tube with a high
> output one, I'll
> get twice or even thrice the normal output with the same
> lighting gear"

=====
S. Hieber