[APD] Re: Large water changes

Robert H. wrote:

> Large water changes DO put
> stress on fish. It can even trigger ICH, particularly if a newbie is
> not carefull with the temp change It could also trigger Cryp melt. You
> would be changing water chemistry, hardness, pH... frequent large
> water changes can interfere with spawning.

My experience in keeping fish for nearly eight years doesn't agree
with your assertions, Robert.  I was doing large water changes (up to
90%) as frequently as every 3 days on my fish tanks even before I
started growing plants, and it has never caused any problems...quite
the opposite.  I have more than a few fishes that get excited and
race around the tank when they see me coming with the hoses and then
frolick in the stream of fresh water as it comes in.  Is that a sign
of stress?

I quit using heaters in my tanks when I quit keeping them in my
parents' basement where ambient temp could drop below 60F, and I
never heat my change water...just let it come up to room temp.
Temperatures regularly swing several degrees F in my tanks, and I've
never had a fish die or get sick because of it.

I've never had a fish develop Ich....ever.  That problem has
everything to do with the quality of the fish and fish shop that you
choose, and nothing to do with the water itself.

pH also fluctuates in my tanks...though only a few tenths of a point.
Change water from the tap is usually a full pH point above the water
in my planted tanks, but that has not proven to be harmful either as
the tank pH recovers to its prior level quickly.

The 4 species of Crypts I've kept only melt when there is a large
fluctuation in nitrate levels (maybe other nutrients too).

Try to spawn Corydoras, Otocinclus, or a variety of other species
without using a significant amount of cool water as a trigger.  Doubt
you'd have much success.

Anyway, generalizations are dangerous (and we all are probably guilty
of them from time to time).  I think the success or failure of large
water changes (or use of tap water in general) boils down to the
quality of the water supply.  Some folks might indeed have trouble
with their tap water, and that's why I think it's a good idea for
everyone to *know* their source water.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee