Re: [APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 4, Issue 88

Actually , if ann put pump on the set up she has now, that
would drain much faster than the set up she has sans pump.
The larger hose makes a big diff with or without a pump.

If you want fancy, you don't need a sump, you can use one
of these -- which are very easy to make:

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Safety_Siphon_Aquarium_Drain/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

Scott H.

--- Andrew McLeod <thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:03:28 -0800 (PST), S. Hieber
> <shieber at yahoo_com>
> wrote:
>
> > You've got it. Now try it with a 3/4" hose and a pump!

. .

> I suppose if you had a sump the same volume as your tank,
> you could seal
> it off using a cunning arrangement of ball valves, drain
> it using the sump
> pump (which ought to be strong enough?) to drain, refill
> with cold water,
> then heat and treat it, then reconnect it to the tank,
> and let the water
> slowly recirculate, without causing any disturbance to
> fish or plants
> (eagerly planning 100 gallon tank for when I'm a slightly
> richer student).
> You would not be able to change all the water in the sump
> or you's run the
> pump dry, but you could get close. The only problem is a
> 100 gallon sump!
> But stick a light over it, and you have another tank to
> grow plants in...

=====
S. Hieber