Re: [APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 4, Issue 88

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:03:28 -0800 (PST), S. Hieber <shieber at yahoo_com> wrote:

You've got it. Now try it with a 3/4" hose and a pump!

Scott H.
--- Ann Viverette <annv777 at houston_rr.com> wrote:
You don't need a Python to do a water change if you don't
gravel vac.

. . .

Draining and filling is a lot slower using the drain/fill
sink attachment,
that internal nozzle that creates the suction slows
things up and the sink
is so much higher than the outlet when I stick the hose
out the window, I
get better flow now. . . .

I suppose if you had a sump the same volume as your tank, you could seal it off using a cunning arrangement of ball valves, drain it using the sump pump (which ought to be strong enough?) to drain, refill with cold water, then heat and treat it, then reconnect it to the tank, and let the water slowly recirculate, without causing any disturbance to fish or plants (eagerly planning 100 gallon tank for when I'm a slightly richer student). You would not be able to change all the water in the sump or you's run the pump dry, but you could get close. The only problem is a 100 gallon sump! But stick a light over it, and you have another tank to grow plants in...

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk