Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:36:58 -0800
From: "Vic Di Cosola" <clutch24 at adelphia_net>
Subject: [APD] RE: Tom's Nutrient Recommendations....The first week
	ends,	interesting results!
To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

Hello all,

Tomorrow will be the weeks end of me dry dosing my 55 gal Glosso/Val/Riccia
tank with dry ferts for the FIRST time.  Interesting enough when I tested my
tap water I had virtually nothing to speak of in regards to Nitrate and
Phosphate levels from my tap or for that matter in my tank via LaMotte test
kits.  As you might recall from my earlier posts, I have a 55 gal Glosso
tank with a HUGE deep carpet of Glosso, riccia on my driftwood and Corkscrew
Vals surrounding the back corner wall.  pH of 6.7 to 6.8 with C02 of course
and lots of it dosed through my PinPoint Controller ;)  Lighting finally
downgraded from 284w (thanks Tom) to 150w for my 24" deep tank.

I purchased a pound each of KNO3, KSO4 and KH2PO4 and Tropica MG for Trace.
I had NO algae to speak of since I rid myself of some early algae boom of
cloudy water with a UV light 2 weeks earlier due to too much light and lack
of nutrients. I was just adding trace.  (Been out of the hobby for 4 years
so I was researching! ;)  Anyway, did a 50% water change (approx. 20 gal
worth) and added a 1/4tsp of KNO3, KS04, .1gram of KH2PO4 and 5ml of MG.  I
waited approx. 15 minutes and tested the water where I found approx. 3ppm of
Nitrates and approx. .004 of Phosphate.  Today (the 6th day into this) I
have dosed twice this week with 1/4 tsp of KN03, .1 grams of KH2P04 and 5ml
of MG. I retested my water today and have some interesting results.  My
Nitrates are now 2ppm and my phosphate had SLIGHT color below the .005
(lowest color reading on the LaMotte. I'm guessing .002 or so is what I was
reading.

Conclusions? To me, it looks like my plants are eating the hell outta the
nutrients I'm adding??
I know I'm trying to shoot for 5ppm for my Nitrates at the end of the week.
I'm also trying to keep this as SIMPLE as possible so I think I'm going to
take the "wait and see" approach and dose the same next week or do I bump up
the KN03 to 1/2 tsp 3x a week ,.15 of the KH2P04 3x a week and 1/2 tsp once
a week for the KS04.??  My vals are the ONLY plant that seem to lack, tips
are growing clear and some yellowing. ONLY had these vals for approx 2.5
weeks, and they are spreading shoots already, BUT I do see some
discoloration (maybe some tank shock.)  The Glosso is OUT of SIGHT  (WOW)
while the Riccia seems to be doing VERY well thus far.  It's an interesting
and fun time for me again with my planted aquaria!  Thanks all!

Take care,

Victor Di Cosola