[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 4, Issue 80

Potamotrygon hystrix is probably what you got.
They get about 30 cm in diameter and are quite sensite to their water
conditions as you already know.
Potamotrygon are more inclined to eat fish then other Genus of rays.
They should be kept with either a sand bottom or very fine gravel as they
like to bury themselves. This is the one spot you may find probelms as they
can dig up your plants as they bury themselves.

Regards,
James
Aquarium Club of Thunder Bay meets on the first Wednesday of every month.
8:00 pm Confederation College room C216

> Message: 6
> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:00:32 -0500
> From: "John Thompson" <jdt70 at earthlink_net>
> Subject: [APD] Stingrays
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>
>     I recently added a freshwater stingray to my planted 55 gal.  I admit
it was an impulse buy but so far I am very pleased with the addition.  It is
of the species Hystric.  Common name is "Mottled Ray".  These are suppose to
be the smallest of the freshwater rays and doesn't get any bigger than a
pleco.  I was a littled worried that it might dig things up but so far seems
to be content to just glide around the tank.  I have a cleared area that it
is particularly fond of when active.  When resting it sits under the leaves
of my bare root anubis.  Weekly water changes are necessary to insure
nitrate levels stay low.  Freshwater rays are suppose to increase the
nitrate levels as a biproduct of their osmoregulation.  I have good
biofiltration and I do regular water changes anyway to prevent build up of
excess nutrients.  So far I have not had any undesirable changes as a result
of adding the ray.  Do any of you know a down side to keeping these guys in
a planted tank?  From w!
>  hat I have found on the web the water conditions of a planted tank are
exactly what they like.  The literature says they like the same conditions
as Discus.  Makes since since they come from the same rivers.  All reports
that I have found say the will ignore most fish.  I can confirm that they
love shrimp.  This would preclude having any of the expensive ornamental
shrimp in with one.  Ghost shrimp sell for 20 cents at most stores so I keep
the tank loaded with these and the ray takes one every day or so.  It also
will happily take frozen shrimp from hand.