[APD] Re:method/substrate/water column dosing

>>Well for them, try less _light_=> less dependence on inorganic
nutrtients(Good balanced fish load and regular feeding) and also add some
high PO4/NO3 tap water ansd guessy what? They do large (50% weekly)
frequent water changes also which adds the PO4/NO3 right back ... All they
do is add CO2/Iron, do water changes(which
adds enough PO4/NO3 to make till the following week) and use less light(2
w/gal or less) to slow the growth rates down.
<<

Well I would like to hear from more dutch people to see if they are doing 50
to 60% water changes every week. I don't believe it. So your system is only
for lighting above 2 watts per gallon? Starting at what, 3 watt/gallon? I
think you failed to mention that before.

>>Well, I'm not saying it's the only method but for high light CO2 enriched
tanks...........about the time many folks stopped having algae problems.
Also about the time that folks tried themselves. About the the time folks
started winning contenst. About the time folks got sick and tired of
testing and guessing if their test kits were even correct. About the time
folks realized that the methods are reproducible.About the time folks were
looking for a good cheap method rather than RO water for changes, PO4
removers etc and about the time folks with rock hard water realized they
did not have to have soft water to have jamming tanks..<<

About what time exactly? Are you saying all the AGA and ADA contest winners
are using your system? When a lot of people were using PMDD, many people
claimed they had very minimal algae problems. Were people being less than
honest back then? Jeff Dietsch was one of the first people to try and
convert me to PMDD. His tanks were algae free. Cathy Hartland brought PMDD
to the masses by her simple interpretation of the paper. Many people
reported that the program had an immediate affect on their algae control.

>>Yes, there are alternatives and grades in between, I have not suggested
this as the _only_ method (I suggest non CO2 often, and lighting), but it
is certainly one that works well.<<

But you called Giancarlo a newbie. :) I have seen pictures of his tanks, and
they look pretty darn impressive!

>>If you are lazy, don't like water changes, do a non CO2 tank.
Heck, at least be honest with yourself and habits.
If you are a busy body, water changes and frequent dosing and lots of
pruning.<<

Thats where I would disagree. Even with C02 and moderate to bright light,
you can achieve an equalibrium without having to do weekly ridiculously
large water changes. Substrate fertilization can play an important role. The
arguement of a rich substrate being detrimental to aquascapes that are
changed, re-planted frequently because of releasing unwanted nutrients into
the water, does not hold up for me either.  Early on in my own experience, I
used to be constantly re arranging plants and changing the aquascape, even
moving the substrate around. I had constant algae problems and even fish
deaths. It was NOT however from releasing ferts into the water. It was
releasing mulm, DOC, gunk and nasties. Whether the substrate was rich or
not, the constant disturbance threw the whole system out of wack.  So even
with a Flourite only substrate, the tank is better off leaving it as
undisturbed as possible.

>>But changing 25% vs 50% does not take that much longer. Maybe 5 minutes
and
it's not a hassle at all. You are already doing the water change etc
anyway.
Fish and plants like it, algae hate it. <<

My concern is more on how disruptive it is for the ecco system of the tank,
the fish, and allowing the tank to mature. Having a more fertile substrate,
(and by fertile I mean all the traces, not just iron, and a little macros.
Mostly I use Seachems Flourish tabs, which has traces, calcium and other
macros.) means I can be more lax on the water column without being
disruptive to the tank enviornment and not dependent on frequent big water
changes. If I go away on vacation, I have a hard enough time finding someone
to feed my fish nevermind finding someone to change 60% of the water. I have
no doubt that many people are following your dosage levels, but I think many
are also adapting that plan to their own schedule and monitoring it by
either what test kits are available, or Chuck Gadds calculator, or simply by
look and feel without the big water changes, or even your elevated iron
levels. But even if this is not the case, and I am in the minority, I still
feel more comfortable with what I am doing.

Print this in TAG Scott, I dare you! :)

Peace.

Robert Paul Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com