Re: [APD] Vortex HELP! -- or - Don't get hot -- get another

Thanks for the feedback.

> This is a the way it's supposed to work. Although the motor
> will get hot to the touch when it's runnng, It should be
> able to run nonstop day after day without generating enough
> heat to trip the thermal overload n the motor.

The motor gets more then hot to the touch, it's untouchable, and invariably
shuts itself off.  I have read in many places on their site, in the
instructions, etc, that these things can be run continously on larger tanks
(mines 90g), if not 4-6hrs at a time.  10 minutes?  BAH

> This is a centrifugal pump so even if you totally blocked
> the output, it shouldn't cause the motor to trip.
>
> And it's not a matter of oiling the motor -- at a couple of
> drops every few months, you can guess that it doesn't use
> much.

I figured that as well, but also wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt.
I thought perhaps the motor would get hot, sure it's got a lot of volts
running through it, but the oil might keep it just cool enough to
operate...tried, failed :-(

> The way a vortex is designed, you can plug up the intake
> too and the machine will kepp on going -- it just won't
> produce much outflow.  That's one way to tell that it's
> time to change the diatoms.

Also, considering it's centrifugal, it shouldn't need a flow of water to
continue to operate.  Afterall it's a shaft with the impeller attached.
Running without anything attached, just the motor itself also gets extremely
hot, but I didn't wait for it to shut itself off, it was burning me.

> I'd go back to the vendor for a quick replacement or
> contact the factory: they have a website at
> www.diatomfilter.com

I contacted Innerspace (manufacturer) to see if they have suggestions.  I'd
much rather a suggested tip of something that would fix it then having to
ship it back and forth again, waiting weeks for it to turn around,
especially with the holiday season.

> Vortex's are like farm horses -- Not necessarily
> attractive, but strong and reliable and built to take it.
> But even the best have failures -- and this sounds like
> one.
>
> It's brand new -- it's not right -- take it back. If you
> exchange, your next one should last about a decade or 2 or
> so.

Well, I certainly hope so, and my wife is right behind me there.  She gets
quite upset when she gets me something and it just doesn't work.  This is
the second time we've bought something from thatpetplace.com that was
damaged somehow.  The first was a PC light that was dented, with the bulb
shattered, now this.  I hope returning this will be easier then the light
itself.  Of course, it could easily just be defective somehow and not the
blame of anyone in paticular, it's beginning to look like a pattern, though
(of my luck)

-Dave