[APD] Substrate fertility & growth rates

Tom wrote:
> Adding more nutrients to the substrate will
> not force plants to grow faster.

Thomas, I think know why you said this because growth may be limited by CO2
or by lack of another nutrient. Also more than adequate growth rates can be
attained using only NO3 in the water and you desire a simple regime suitable
for newbies.

We should be cautious about saying that hydroponic regimes (excepting Fe)
are just as good as geoponic (substrate fertilization) at producing high
growth.

Recall from our recent messages, the C blassii grown in the deep soil
substrate was much larger (28") than the hydroponic ones (18") you
mentioned. Of course final size is not the same as growth rate but still
desirable. You didn't mention if 18" was the maximum size attained. Tank
size & competition are confounds too.

My understanding is that scientific research tends to support better growth