Re: [APD] Re: substrate

Actually, I was under the impression that Flourite didn't
have any free iron that it could give to the plants -- the
iron in Flourite as it comes inthe bag locked up in the
minerals. However, Flourite because of it's porosity,
facilitation of cation exchange, the chem processes it is
conducive for, that promoted iron uptake from the water or
what one puts inthe substrate.

Flourite doesn't eliminate the need to fertilize, but it
doesn't *require* fertilizer be added to it. Much esier for
a newbie to dose the water column.

Scott H.
--- Giancarlo Podio <gp at isaconsulting_com> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> What do you mean by this? Flourite to my knowledge
> doesn't contain anything
> other than iron, I can't see how having a flourite
> substrate eliminates the
> need to fertilize it. I agree that in high light tanks
> substrate
> fertilization is not as important and can be done
> without, however for low
> light tanks without CO2 I find substrate fertilization to
> be a very
> important element. I use flourish tabs in both low and
> high light tanks and
> all of them have a flourite substrate. I can easily see
> differences in plant
> growth in my high light tank when the flourish tabs are
> getting depleted,
> I've tried to not use them at all and adjusted my liquid
> ferts to compensate
> but in general I find that the plants are doing better
> with the tabs than
> without.
>
> But my point is not to fertilize the substrate or not,
> different things work
> for different people :-) ...But what's Flourite got to do
> with this? There
> is more than iron in Flourish Tabs and Flourite, to my
> knowledge, doesn't
> contain anything other than iron (besides what it absorbs
> from it's
> surroundings).
>
> Are you simply referring to iron levels?

=====
S. Hieber