[APD] shrimp iodine question

Message: 8
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:46:21 -0600
From: "Jim Seidman" <js5 at seidman_net>
Subject: [APD] Iodine levels for freshwater shrimp
To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>

I know a lot of people here keep shrimp and are careful about dosing, so
I'm hoping someone can help me. This is a simple question, but one for
which I can't find a good reference on the Internet.

What is the appropriate concentration of iodine in the aquarium for optimum
freshwater shrimp health? I'm looking for a simply ppm or ppb kind of
number. I have some sodium iodide, but have no idea of either the optimal
or toxic dose.

Thanks,
Jim Seidman

They're a great group that focuses on freshwater inverts., and there have been lots of discussions on iodine/iodide dosing. I personally use about 1 drop for every 10 gallons of water when doing a water change, but don't know how necessary it is. It doesn't hurt, at least.

~Reggie