[APD] Re: Co2 tubing and Light.... Whew!!!

Greetings, "New kid on the block..." [Have a real name?]

Glad to see someone who does not mind doing some homework.

yeah I do have a real name....and if you say the ID real fast out loud you'll get the real name...Just a very unique way of spelling it...

I do this to keep a layer of privacy on the net...

> Hi
>
> New kid on the block...
>
> two questions... I was catching up on this Co2 thing and tubing.. so what's
> this big deal about co2 resistant tubing??? and why the concern???

Vinyl tubing, as used for regular airline has plasticizers that will
interact with the CO2 with potentially undesirable consequences. Even if
those don't add stuff you don't want to the aquarium, the erosion
eventually hardens the tubing and may make it stiff and brittle over a
long period of time. [I've never seen that, but it has been reported, I
think.]

Silicone tubing has long been used in hospitals as it has less
interactive chemistry, so is suitable for even oxygen as well as CO2
lines. Unfortunately, it is more rubbery and stretchy, so must be
attached to bayonet fittings with a wire tie, or it may blow off at
pretty low pressures. It also makes distant needle valves tough to
adjust, as the (slight) balloon must change size before the bubble rate
changes. It is also pretty damned expensive!

I think some semi-rigid tubing, like Clippard's and refrigerator
ice-maker line (polyethylene?) may be better for CO2 than vinyl, and way
cheaper than silicone.

Growing up in a medical family I have used every form of tubing.. and it all hardens over time... just chalked that up to age.. as to the presure problem never really had a problem even when using my air compressor to drive all my tanks..Just used a regulator to drop the line pressure

> the second is... does anybody have an answer to this
>
> I have been reading a lot about illumination and getting al kinds of info
> lux, lumens,  PAR.
> doesn't anybody have a standard metering scale???
> when some one say Low light level or high light level... How many
> foot-candles is that???

Doesn't matter much to the plants as foot-candles are based on the least
useful spectrum for them, the human eye's response. Plants reflect away
much of the green, which is weighted heavily, and need light in the red
and blue that are given only about 10% weight in foot-candles.
Hummm... On this issue I disagree with you foot-candles are not based on a certain part of the spectrum falling on a surface.. but the amount of electromagnetic radiation falling on a square foot of surface... granted this measurement is based on a very old concept.. but any good quality light meter measures a broad spectrum for the photographer..and IMHO I have been doing photography for over 30 yrs..and have worked in both ends of the spectrum UV and IR photography.. recording outside the visible spectrum..and many of the B&W films we use are more blue sensitive then red..the meter gives us a starting point... which is what I am after with the light illumination of the plants

As to this lighting paradigm everyone is working from a system that only uses manufactured light... and this doesn't take into consideration that some folks like me use only Natural light... and so when you say the a figure of watts per gal.. well then I come back to my same question.. how many watts does the sun make at morning, noon and evening.. so I will still search the archives for an answer.. but I suspect that no one has ever done the testing to say that Rotala wallichii needs X amount of foot-candles for proper growth and Cryptocoryne beckettii needs X amount of foot-candles..

I guess I need to add that I am in a perfect growing environment, I live on a tropical island...and many of the tanks here get only natural light. and I am trying to cultivate many of the plants that I have...since we suffer a balmy 80* year round.. :-) and get 300 days a year of full sun...so as a result of this environment I am trying to establish a growing situation where each species gets exactly what it needs.. If Rotala wallichii needs an avg of 7000 foot-candles per day to thrive.. then I can adjust the growing environment.

as to the aquatic gardener unless there is a search engine that I can not find.. the site is pretty useless.. since there is no clue as to what any of the articles information incudes..

Plants have an action growth spectrum that is different for different
plants, but chlorophyl A and B tend to give most of them big humps in
the red and blue ends of the spectrum, so even a flat-spectrum standard,
like PAR isn't too accurate for predicting growth potential.

Once you get it right, and get them enough of the light and other
nutrients they like, what do they do? Some have the audacity to turn
bright red, which would indicate they don't want what you just paid so
much money to provide them!

Now you have me puzzled... Some of the plants that are thriving and growing greats guns.. are giving me intense red color ... just as I thought they were supposed to do...and what the folks at Tropica said they would do...aww geee

but then what do I know I'm just a transplanted Okie as my wife calls me.. and adds... you dono nothing... GRIN...

Thanks for all your help guys.. it is really appreciated