[APD] RE: Neolamprologus ocellatus

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:20:02 -0800
> From: Phil Bunch <pbunch at cox_net>
> Subject: RE: [APD] Carbon filtration, DOC & BGA
> To: "'aquatic plants digest'" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> I can't do large volume water changes in a tank that has BGA problems due
> to sensitivities of the fish component. Twenty-five percent is about the
> max recommended for this species (Neolamprologus ocellatus). Any
> suggestions?
>
> Phil Bunch
> On Wednesday, December 17, 2003 17:15, S. Hieber [SMTP:shieber at yahoo_com]
> wrote:
> > I haven't found DOC levels to be a cause of BGA -- jsut
> > imbalances of NO3 and PO4 -- which could be jsut what I
> > understand Tom to have said about nitrate levels and BGA.
> >
> > But what you need to fix isn't the choice of media if your
> > DOC is too high.  And adding carbon would be superfluous if
> > the water changes are being done. If large
> > waterchange/resets don't work, then there are probably a
> > host of problems or imbalances to address such as a filter
> > that's gone too long without cleaning, way too many fish,
> > something overloading your tank.
> >
> > Scott H.
> > --- Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > . . .  high levels of DOC being a factor causing
> > > Cyanophyta
> > > (Cyanobacteria, blue-green algae) should we rethink
> > > conventional wisdom
> > > about the use of activated carbon filtration?
> > >
> > > Granted that regular water changes are important too.
> > >

> > =====
> > S. Hieber

Form my Lamprologus ocellatus (same fish) tank I do 50 % water change weekly.
They look better, they seem happier, they eat well.
My tap water is,

pH 7.4
KH 2.24
GH 4.48

I use Carib Sea substrate in two tanks. One 15g and one 40 breeder house a total of
21 fish. If I had to I would prep the water before replacing it. But other wise I just drain the water,
treat the tank with Prime, and fill directly.

	Steve