Re: [APD] RE: Heated water -- or - Keeping one's cool with water

Geat advice, Rachel.

I like to use an electronic digital thermometer because I
can get a quick reading right at the mouth of the python
and they are harder to break than mercury filled-glass bulb
thermometers.

Possible problems that whack the temperature after you get
it just right:

If your hot water heater runs out of hot water. "Why didn't
you tell me you just took one of your marathon showers?"

As the hot water heats up the faucet, the valve may swell
  and constrict the flow of hot water or someone fiddles
with the knobs "Hey, did one of you guys touch the faucet?
I had it set just right."

Someobdy flushes.  "Hey, nobody goes until I'm finished
with the fish." "Ruhhh ite, dad, that'll work."

All of these probs may tend to be worse in the cold season
when the cold water is colder and you are flowing more hot
water. Also when my daughters are in the house.

Scott H.

--- Rachel Sandage <rachelsor at hotmail_com> wrote:
> I was told that it's important to run the water in the
> morning to flush the
> pipes before you use tapwater, because things can leach
> in if it's been
> sitting a long time. That said, I use a hose from my sink
> to the tank for
> the 29 and 75 gallon tanks, and have never had any
> problems. I use cheapo
> dechlor (no chloramine here) and put it straight into the
> tank before I
> start refilling - somewhere between 1x and 3x the
> recommended dose. I should
> also point out that there's a pretty major difference in
> chemistry between
> my tank and tap - tap is GH=KH=1, ph 7.6 out of the
> faucet; tank is GH=KH=5,
> pH =6.8.
>
> The only caution I have is that some faucets drift in
> temperature - the one
> I use to fill the 75 drifts pretty radically, and I did
> kill most of my
> cardinal tetras once when I didn't notice how cold the
> water had gotten. Now
> I use a thermometer and my skin-o-meter to keep an eye on
> it, and haven't
> had any problems.
>
> -rs

=====