[APD] Thread Algae

Hi,

 I have a patch of ricca and java moss growing together tied to a piece of
plastic mess in one of my tanks.

 Due to my neglect some long thin string like algae started growing in this
patch. I have moved it to a separate tank and put it in blackout. I plan on
leaving it there for 7 days.

 My question is what would others opinion be on this.
 1. Should I run it through this blackout period and return it to my main
tank?    or
 2. Should I just throw it away due to the difficulty with this type of algae
and not risk spreading it thru my main tank?

 The patch isn't real big maybe 12" X 4" but it was growing real nice and I
liked the look.

Thanks,
Bill