[APD] RE: Optimum nutrient levels

> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:29:28 +0200
> From: Satu J?ske <satuj at netikka_fi>
> Subject: [APD] RE: RE: Optimum nutrient levels
> To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> Thank you Tom for the advice :)
>
> I forgot to tell some of the important things, like the water changes... I
> change 50-70% once in a week. I add PMDD continuously with the thingy they
> use in hospitals. The thin hose is connected to the bottom of a bucket
(its
> about 5 liters) that hangs from the ceiling. So, I add few liters of water
> and the weeks dosage to the bucket and then I adjust the frequency of the
> drops and I don't have to worry about it for a week. Here is a picture of
> it:
> http://www.aqua-web.org/users/satuj/tippa.jpg
>
> I think it is a good way to avoid excess of nutrients in the water column.
> But still I need to add PMDD after the water change, of course.

Ummm, well if you are doing 50-70%, it really in a NON ISSUE and I think
you need to worry more about the plants getting enough rather than too much.

Also, I think you will get mucvh better growth/healthier plants trying out
the routine I suggested.
PMDD does not add PO4, it assumes a PO4 limited tank is the best and
prevents algae.

This is not true.

High PO4 levels simply do not cause algae blooms in planted tanks with good
NO3, CO2 etc.
Also, the dosage of Fe is too little.

> With the 1W/litre I got my Cardamine lyrata to grow strange leaves. They
had
> two small "pre-leaves" and after them was the actual leaf. I didn't have a
> camera then, so I just had to draw what I saw (I could have dried the
leaves
> between books or something, but didn't think of it then).
> http://www.aqua-web.org/users/satuj/cardamine.jpg

Sounds like the plants was deficient. Dose! You change a lot of water
anyway. It's easy, do it 2-3x a week and see what you think.

> BTW, for example Diana Walstad talks about soil. Does it mean the soil you
> use to pot ordinary house plants? Or something totally different?

Yes, good garden soil without any pesticides/herbicides etc. Soak first for
about a week.
You need to keep in mind that that is for a non CO2 low mainteance approach.

Do not mix non CO2 methods with CO2 enriched tank methods.
They work for different reasons.

For a 300 liter tank do the following:

Same water change routine, always prune/scrub algae etc BEFORE the water
change.
1/2 teaspoon KNO3 2-3x a week
1/2 teaspoon K2SO4 once a week after water change
1/16-1/8 teaspoon 2-3 x a week
Traces 10-15 mls 2-3x a week

You might need to add a little Mg/Ca, fine ground dolomite will work,
placed somewhere in the filter.

Try this routine, make sure the CO2 is 20-30ppm based off the pH/KH chart
while the lights are on.

Now the chemicals are cheap, the routine easy, and I'll let you decide for
yourself the results for the plants and the over all health of the tank.
Try it for 3 weeks, if not totally satisfied, I will refund your money:-)

Regards,
Tom Barr