[APD] RE: Cyanophyta

>, I would suggest the possibility that several species of Cyanophyta"

I have only seen one Genus to date, I have one case of another once.
If you want to include Anabeana on Azolla, you can say 3.If you taske
something froma lake, say Cylinderospermopsis and add it to a tank, often
it will presist for a little while. But it will not appear unless you
actively put it there etc.

The one that slimes everything is Oscillitoria.

>(and there are several common green ones) exist in the tank. It's possible
>differing species could utilize differing nitrogen fixation pathways (The
>nitrogenase reaction would probably be the most costly conversion system) .

All BGA's do this that have the ability to fix N2 gas.... unless N is
limiting (and we are talking very low levels, beyond anything even remotely
close to any of common test kits may provide) only then will they make the
N2 fixing structures and enzymes.
Why go through an expensive formation and maintenance of nitrogenase and a
thick heterocyst wall and even make something quite like hemoglobin to keep
the O2 out if you do not need it? Evolution got rid of those a long time
ago.

>They key thing about running the nitrogenase reactions is the requirement
>for relatively large amounts of energy, that's why in my list light was the
>first and, as Tom points out blacking out the tank is probably (and IMHO)
>the best place to start."

>It's not a question of light, they have no trouble growing at low either.
>They also do nicely along the front of your tank, right below the gravel
line.
>There are a thousand folks that can attest to that.

> I am sure opinions may vary, but I think the
> nitrogen management will only be effective on a limited number of species
> and without the blackout it's going to be hard to control and as Tom
points
> out (is he *always* so right? :-) the energy storage in the bacteria is
very
> small compared to the larger plants so it dies off first.

You are missing the point............
It's a question of growing the plants well..........NOT of what conditions
are good for algae, we are NOT GROWING ALGAE!!

If you want to grow algae okay then, we can talk about that. But if you
simply want to get rid of it, the blackout works, the darn little things do
not have so much reserve material so they use all of their energy up and
form spores.

>In terms of nitrogen fixation, BGA is probably the most effective, as if
you
>have air, light and trace elements it can grow. (if not maybe someone can
>correct me?). Some species cyanobacteria can survive long after all other
>nitrogen dependant organisms have long gone given the presence of these. It
>was here first and will probably be here last.
>- Rob, Sydney

There are bacteria, like Rhizobium that fix N2, soybeans etc.
But most of the world's fixed N2 comes from these BGA's.

Some folks want to add DNA to allow it to become herbicide resistant(most
herbicides kill this one first) and use it for rice Nitrogen source.
Or to make high grade reactors that grow BGA to use for N fertilizer
instead of the old Fritz-Haber process.
But can you image?
Herbicidal resistent BGA? Sounds like a very bad idea to me.............

Saw some of those glow fish, they do not look that nice, I think they are
ugly, I like regular Zebra's better.

Regards,
Tom Barr