[APD] RE: NH4= algae, not NO3/PO4 <Tom>

Tom,

Thanks for the feedback and I have a few responses....

<Well adding more light ain't going to help.>

I have been out of the planted tank arena for quite sometime...In my first
post here 3 weeks ago I stated back in 1995, and at that time good
reflectors were not very well made at all!  I had an ICE CAP system with NO
reflectors, the 2x 95VHO bulbs were attached DIRECTLY to my canopy hood. My
first VERY small batch of Glosso do NOT grow at all in my 24" high tank.  At
that time 195w = NO growth of Glosso. That was the ONLY thing different up
to now, a GOOD reflector.  Kinda funny how we live and learn over time.  At
the onset of me getting my tank back into the swing of things, I knew way
back when 195w did NOT cut the mustard for the Glosso's, so I decided to
make sure I doubled the light and bring up the Co2 for the Glosso.  Ass I
said earlier, WOW, today's reflectors DO penetrate 24" of water!!  I wish I
had a LUX meter then and now!

<Yea, great raid Gloss growth ...................then what? Now you have to
deal with this damn weed's growth rate. PITA.
Try less light, keep the high CO2 and keep the water changes, dose 2x a
week and it grows better and more importantly, last longer looking good.>

SNIP

<It'll always come back, it'll laugh at you.

It sure DID laugh at me, funny how after only 3 hours after a 75% water
change it came back! :)....I now am using less light and yes the "weed" as
you call it is spectacular!! I caught the bloom VERY early on, and the UV,
PLUS a massive water change cured the outbreak in a day and a half. I'm now
back to clear water and dosing as normal AND watching VERY closely.

<So remember it doesn't take long to grow 4" of Gloss, but I don't like 4"
of Gloss.
I like no more than about 1/2" tight, healthy carpet. IOnlyu enough to
cover the gravel,. not piled up on itself.>

Well, I guess that is a matter of preference Tom. I think over the years
with ALL the different landscapes I have tried, this is the MOST beautiful
yet.  I wish I could post some pics somewhere so folks can see this.  The 4"
thick glosso is now almost covering 3/4 of the tank leading up to a huge and
wonderful foothills of a piece of 20" high driftwood that really looks like
Mt. Everest. I call this aquascape "The Climb."  Kinda cool seeing all those
shrimp climbing to the top of the mountain! :D

SNIP

<It's not practical for us, just have some fish and feed them(this will be
your source of NH4), dose your KNO3 etc(This is your source of NO3).>

Tom, is there REALLY a one in all KNO3 type fert out there?  I still have 4
bottles of Dupla 24 on-hand and readily have available any Dupla products I
need.  I also have Kent Freshwater Plant that list the ingredients as;

SOURCES OF NUTRIENTS
Made of potash, iron EDTA, manganese EDTA, zinc EDTA, sodium EDTA, cobalt
chloride, copper EDTA, sodium molybdate.

Soluble Potash (K20) 3%
Copper (CU) (Min)) .00001%
Iron (Fe) (Min) .24%
	.24% Chelated Iron
Manganese (Mn) (Min) .01%
Molybdenum (Mo) (Min) .0009%
Zinc (Zn) (Min) .00014%

Will this do or will I need more or less of ONE particular component? What
product do you recommend??  Also, maybe I should ask George (he is very
familiar with the Dupla line) what is in Dupla 24 daily drops?  Is anyone
still using the Dupla 24 daily drops any more here in America since they do
not have an importer any longer?

Take care,

Vic Di Cosola

Message: 6