-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com]On Behalf Of Candy Moonwolf
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 4:07 PM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: [APD] Bolbitus bleach damage/ red river clay

I recently recieved some plants that had been bleached to get rid of hair
algae. I have read that its not uncommon for vals to fade and melt if not
immediantly then soon after the bleach treatment but that the rhizomes would
recover and put out new shoots. My question is on the bolbitus fern, most of
the leaves are blackend or blackening, it has been in the tank now for
several days (tied to a piece of malaysian driftwood) and shows no signs of
*perking up*. If I cut the leaves all off and leave only the rhizome tied
(with thread) to the wood will it eventually come back and put out new
leaves? I don't really want to leave them on if they are just going to melt
away.

On another topic I live near the Red River, at the Tex/Okla border has
anyone ever checked to see what the content of the "red clay" soil here is
or if it is of any use as a substrate?
Thanks
Candy