RE: [APD] RE: Algae Bloom?? PLEASE READ! Thanks!!

Scott,

I used one of the microscopes at my work. It's an Olympus CK 2 dissecting scope. I used a final magnification of x100 (x10 lens). You should be able to see protists and worms easily at x40. I poured a thin layer of my tank water into an empty petri dish to reduce the vertical plane in which I had to work in. Much easier that way. If you have problems finding anythin, you could centrifuge the lot to concentrate it ... ;-) I doubt you would see a dense population or microorganisms in clean tank water ( my sample was from the peak of my algae bloom).

- Seweryn

What microscope do you have? More specifically, what is your magnification range? I recently purchased one, but have not been able to see anything in my tank water. I'm pretty sure that's a good thing, but it's a decent microscope.