[APD] Re: Glowfish Banned

I agree that we are overtaxed, over regulated, and over protected.  I also believe that we as individuals have many rights, some from God, some from our wonderful Constitution.

But we also have obligations.  Libertarians tend to avoid the "O" word as being an infringement on their rights.  It might be, but it is a necessary one.

I live in the middle of a megalopolises with about 50 million people within an hour's drive.  Some of these are sociopaths.
I keep guns in my home, but I want police protection.  I need the CIA and the FBI as well as other kinds of cops.

I want to be able to drive to places so I need good roads.  They cost money to build and maintain.

My employer is an international company and thrives on free trade.  Go, NAFTA (which really loosened regulations, BTW)!

I don't want perverts accosting me or my family.  I don't want drunks or druggies disrupting my life.  I want drugs and booze regulated and, if possible, the addicts rehabbed.

I think a well educated citizenry is necessary for my freedom, so I support schools, public where necessary, and laws that require their attendance.

I don't want the local chemical plant to discharge poisons into the air and water. Bring on the EPA.

I don't want my neighbor to be able to perform experiments on his dog or cat.

I applaud corporations for creating wealth, and I'm happy that there are unions to help to insure that it is distributed appropriately.

I recognize that my wants require that I give up some of my "rights", and that I will have to pay various kinds of taxes to pay for these services.  I do this, not with any great joy, but because I see no alternative.

And I think most people agree with me.

Bill