[APD] Light intensity and internodal length

Hello all!

I have bunches of Wisteria and pennywort in my 3' tanks w/ 2X30W fluoro lighting (PowerGlo & AquaGlo), but the internodal distances are pretty large and also both put out a lot of the fine hairy roots from their nodes. What I am shooting for is nice dense plants without too many stem roots, not the scraggly looking things I have now. Would a 3rd bulb help? Or maybe I should get a real reflector instead of my home-job Al foil... Is low light or a nutrient deficiency a cause of excess node roots in stem plants? I never see any on the pictures of aquariums online...
Thanks for the advice,
- Seweryn