Re: [APD] Refreshing old substrate (repost)

I am also waiting a response for this as I have almost exactly
the same setup as yours (except my tank is 6 years old with no peat),
and I am considering replacing the old substrate with flourite.
My main motivation is the old substrate does not hold fine root
plants very well.

I am leaning towards a complete substrate replacement for
the following reasons:

- I don't think a flourite mixed with substrate will
   look nice in my tank.
- Seachem recommends at least 50% flourite.  If I am going to
   put in 50% flourite and taking out 50% of old substrate, I
   may as well do a complete replacement.
- It will not be possible to re-separate the substrate if I don't
   like the result of 50/50 mix.
- While flourite is not cheap, I figure 7-10 bags will be enough for
   me (check out www.mops.on.ca, their list price is lower
   than Cdn$25).  The flourite probably will last several years and
   the per year cost is quite reasonable.
- It is a good opportunity to catch fish I don't want and do
  some replanting.
Louis Lin
TickQuest Inc    www.tickquest.com