From: S. Hieber [mailto:shieber at yahoo_com]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 3:23 PM
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: Re: [APD] RE: Algae Bloom?? PLEASE READ! Thanks!!

--- Vic Di Cosola <clutch24 at adelphia_net> wrote:
> . . .  A very nice guy here mentioned in my earlier post on cloudy
> water, that this could be early bacteria/normal??  I'm not set to
> panic JUST yet, but...2 days after a 50% water change, it's more
> cloudy than before and seems to be getting worse.

I haven't found water changes to be particularly helpful with the
clouldiness that comes from a cycling tank. It comes right back. I've
thought that this was because it's more a matter of the good bacteria not
yet outcompeting the stuff that clouds the water. You pull out a bunch of
the bacteria with a water change and it just grows back rather quickly. If
you try to starve the bacteria, you can end up starving your plants. Hoping
I learned well from Tom, I try to be sure my plants don't go hungry. And if
I got impatient, I'd throw on a UV. If it started to turn green on me, then
I might be even more inclined to use a UV, but I've never actually had green
water, knock on wood.

Avoiding the tank cycling is best but with any halfway decent planted tank,
the bacterial bloom clouding the water is doomed. I can't say that's what
you have, but it sounds like it.

> Could this be natural for this
> tank with the
> amount of plants, light and Co2?  Do I perform another water change
> and add some activated carbon??

I wouldn't use carbon. And I'd only use water changes to control the nitrate
and phosphate levels, dosing each accrodingly to maintain nice levels and
balance. I.e., I'd try to feed the plants a balance diet. And I might throw
in more mulm into the filter. "Dirty" filters are good for new tanks, imo.

> I do think I have a good aquatic balance of light Co2 and plants.
> Nutrients to follow soon,

I would have thought that the nutrients should come right along with the
lighting. Without good feeding, the lights are more likely to help algae
than the plants we like.

good luck,
Scott H.

=====
S. Hieber

CONFIDENTIAL/PROPRIETARY

Unless otherwise indicated, all information (including attachments)
contained in this e-mail communication is confidential and proprietary
information exclusively owned by the sender and/or its related or affiliated
companies and shall not, without the prior written consent of the sender, be
used, disclosed, distributed or reproduced, in whole or in part, by anyone
other than the individual or entity to whom this communication is addressed
exclusively for the purpose expressly indicated in this communication.

This e-mail communication is intended for the use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient of
this communication, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this communication in error, please destroy any copies,
electronic, paper or otherwise that you may have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VERTEXRSI CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY
Unless otherwise indicated, all information (including attachments)
contained in this e-mail communication is confidential and proprietary
information exclusively owned by the sender and/or its related or affiliated
companies and shall not, without the prior written consent of the sender, be
used, disclosed, distributed or reproduced, in whole or in part, by anyone
other than the individual or entity to whom this communication is addressed
exclusively for the purpose expressly indicated in this communication.
This e-mail communication is intended for the use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient of
this communication, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us at once at
postmaster at TriPointGlobal_com so that we may take appropriate action and
destroy any copies, electronic, paper or otherwise that you may have of this
communication.