Re: [APD] Re: Hemianthus/also glasscages.com

Paul wrote:

>   Hemianthus micranthemoides grows well for me as a floating plant.
> In fact, it is somewhat of a pest as it spreads and cuts off the
> light  for plants below.  Try floating your plants until you see that
> they are growing and producing roots.  Then try planting them in a
> well-lit spot.  Limnophilia does not do nearly so well as a floating
> plant.

Admittedly, "thriving" may have been too strong a word for my floating
limnophila, however, they shot out roots
and new tops and are the same brilliant yellow-green as
when they were planted, just slower growing. They are
also right under the cf lighting and a nice contrast to the
hornwort and green foxtail (floating, too, and sending out
new side shoots). The rotala indica is not dying that I have
floating, but I can't see where it is growing, either. In my tanks that have
all floaters (except java moss, java, fern, and anubias species) the
hemianthus was dying off:
turning yellow with brown stems which I quickly planted
the greenest stuff in tanks with substrates. I'm using these
floater tanks for grow-out tanks for my killies but also as
a "holding pattern" for plants I want to use in a 65 gallon
tank (18x18x48) employing the Tom Barr method (Tom
should have his own action figure doll:-). My wife's 7 gallon is the first
to use TBM and her gloating glee from the results (the nicest tank in the
house) is proof enough to
change over.

Has anyone bought tanks from www.glasscages.com ? A
65 gallon is only $80 and well worth the drive for me to
the Nashville area, since I live in Huntsville. They advertise
using thicker glass and prices are very reasonable.

Bill in HSV where it is raining, 50degrees, with thundershowers by 11am...