[APD] Power Compact Lighting in the UK

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:17:16 -0600, william ruyle <inquartata at comcast_net> wrote:

(cut) at least 2 watts per gallon of compact fluorescent lighting such as AH Supply (or Brit equivalent:). The T8s, over a year old? Probably overtasked for these plants, a couple of my favorites. (cut)

What exactly are power compacts? I do not know of any UK equivalent to AH supply, and although I have never looked through non-aquatic sources, all I seem to see is reasonable (?) T8s (£14 for a single ballast, £20 for a two tube ballast and <£10 for a 3'-4' 20W-30W tube), and some horribly overpriced T5s from Arcadia (over £45 for a ballast).

Wait - I have just found "ASL lighting" seem to do 'T5 compacts' at £20 for a 20" 55W. Shame I can only see tubes and kits costing over £75 for fit-inside-a-hood 2x55W (not including tubes), so no separate ballasts, although the kits come complete with electronic ballasts, two switches and reflectors.

If I had two dual ballasts (2x£20), and four 4' 30W Triton tubes at £8 each, this would only cost £76, and give me 120W instead of 110W (although I would need to make/acquire my own reflectors to anything like the light output). Lighting is really expensive, isn't it? How do these prices compare with the US?

Since the ASL kits are looking better value, does anybody have any experience of them?

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk