[APD] Re: An observation

> From: "Jim Seidman" <js5 at seidman_net>

> How many tanks do you have that accumulate nitrates from fish wastes? That
is,
> do you have tank where you don't add any NO3 and the NO3 levels keep
rising
> anyway? If not, I imagine the ammonium is being dealt with just fine.

Yes, we have two 100g tanks. Both require 50% water changes every two weeks
to keep nitrates under 15 mg/l.  Both have decent fish loads and wet/dry
filters.

In fact, last spring we were down quite a bit on fish load. Nitrate was
pretty steady at around 5 mg/l.  The tanks looked relatively crappy.  Since
we stocked up on discus and rainbows this summer and nitrates have kicked
back up, things have really turned around. I speculate that the "Dupla
regimen" is targeted at higher fish loads and depends on high quality waste
:-) to balance the nutrients in the DuplaPlant tablets and daily drops.  Or
our maintenance techniques and schedule were learned on high fish loads and
don't work well in other situations.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
 The website for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
   http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/  (mirror)
   http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/