[APD] Re: Fluid bed filters

"Message: 5
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:37:20 -0600
From: "AZ Burns" <aerburns at hotmail_com>
Subject: Re: [APD] An observation
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

The plant guru at my LFS recomends a fluidized sand filter for plants tanks. "

They are okay, but if they are turned off for long(15-20 minutes) they will crash.

  "He has one of his 75 at home because it is very simple to maintain, and
handles any nitrate spikes quickly."

I think you mean NO2, not NO3.

"  He says other bio-filters caused him
problems when he cleaned them since they would loose some bio filtration
capacity.  He usually would get an algae breakout after cleaning out his
canister filters while they were recovering."

? Not mine. I clean then do the water change. Unless you missing another part, say the CO2 is not quite where it should be, too many fish etc, this should never be an issue.

Recall you are growing plants here, bacteria in the filter are a back up plan in case something with the plants is not doing well or neglected etc. But generally the plants remove all the NO3 to nil and certainly all the NH4 so the filter is a secondary element ideally.

This is also why a new planted tank does not go through "a cycle", and why you do no0t need fishless cycling on a planted tank.

"I know he has a high fish load and feeds pretty heavily.  How much
bio-filtration you need probably depends on how much bio load you have, in a
planted tank or in a non planted tank.  Sand filters work for him, W/D work
for you, some people have no bio-filters.  Maybe bio-load is the factor to
look at closely in deciding what sort of bio-filter to use.

AZ Burns"

Certainly, if you plan on higher fish loads, plan on more wet/dry which is better than FBF's IMO/IME for higher bioloads.

But it's better to have moderate to low fish loads since the fish are happier and there are generally less problems and less drain on the O2 levels.

Main thing is the focus on the plants, not the filter as the main nutrient exporter. Give the plants what they need to do their job well.

Do that and things work out well for for folks.

Regards,
Tom Barr