[APD] Re: Some thoughts on substrates and some Heat cable debate

> From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> But the condition needn't occur in nature for it to be
> useful in growing plants underwater in glass boxes.

A very profound statement.

The goal of substrate heating cables (and a lot of things that we do) is
not to duplicate (duplacate :-) nature but provide some of the same
effects that you might find in nature that would not occur naturally in
our little glass or acrylic boxes.

For example, I wish there was some way to have all the creepy crawly
critters in our tanks that help make a complete ecosystem. Especially
substrate dwellers. But, unfortunately, most of the creepy crawly critters
soon become flying pests that would make our indoor environment sort of
annoying.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
 The website for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
   http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/  (mirror)
   http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/