[APD] Re: A note on cold climes and substrate heaters

I setup my tank with heat cables because my NYC apartment gets pretty cold in
the winter time... cold enough that I will sometimes wear a ski cap and
jacket (50's F). This isn't to say that all or even most NYC apartments get
this cold -- just mine with a crazy landlord. Lucky me. My 15 gallon tank
sits on top of a dresser in my bedroom and putting insulation under it
sounded too unsightly. It's been a couple of weeks now with a substrate
heater and the tank, fish and plants seem to be nice and warm and doing fine.
Since I don't have a second tank I can't do a comparison between one with
substrate heating and one without. I'm trying out a strategy that seems to
fit my particular situation. If it fails, I'll certainly report it here so
that someone else might consider this before trying the same thing (though I
realize there could be a dozen other reasons for failure). Your thoughts and
suggestions are appreciated -- I can already hear a chorus of "instead of a
substrate heater, why don't you move!?!"