[APD] Have I cracked it?

Hi all,

I have a smallish (24") tank which I've set up as my first semi-serious
planted tank. I don't use C02, but add fertiliser and have two T8 tubes. The
water column is only about 13" high (tank is 15") so I thought this amount
of light would be enough.

Getting to the point, I have Alternanthera roseofolia and Blyxa Japonica
which although not actually growing are sprouting hair roots, the
Alternanthera significantly more. Does this mean these plants are going to
make it or could it be a desperate cry for help before they disintegrate?
All the plants in the tank seem to be doing well, but I've read these plants
are much harder to get going so I wasn't expecting much!

Thanks,
Graham