Re: [APD] Re: choices: Eheims

They do not have higher flow.  After much questioning,
Eheim said to me that they rate the filters differently by
using different calculation methods.

I suspect that Eheim feels compelled to have physcially
larger filters rated at higher flow rates than small models
in the same model line.  I think wherever they use the same
pump head on two sizes of filter in the same model line
they rate the larger one with a higher flow rate.

So what's the real flow rate?  I dunno, never got out a
bucket and stopwatch and measured.  I like the filters
despite the rating methods. Eheim at least will usually
give flow rates for the pump head alone and for the filter
with media -- although that's fresh media, not partly or
fully loaded with filtered gunk.  So most of the time you
will have a lower flow rate than the rating for the filter
with fresh media. Other manufacturers it seems, just give
ratings for the pump head assembly totally unobstructed --
but you'd have to measure each or ask the manufacturers for
rating methods to know for sure.

Scott H.