Re: [APD] Bacterial Bloom

Richard-

Yup. took them out a few days ago. The pot was actually what my windolev (sp?) java fern came in (so I assume it's inert), and the small bit of wood I collected on a local beach (some other pieces gave me no problems). I soaked them for weeks, and boiled them a few times as well. They milky cloudiness of my tank is now beggining to get a green hue to it. Is it common for a bacterial bloom to give way to an algal bloom??

- Seweryn

From: "boolybooly" <boolybooly at ntlworld_com>
To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Subject: [APD] Bacterial Bloom
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:11:00 +0100

Seweryn, have you taken out the piece of driftwood and pots ? Where did you
get them ? This cloud reminds me of a tank startup crisis, maybe something
lurking in the stuff you put in is killing off the denitrifying bacteria,
how is the nitrite ? Who made the pots and were they made for aquariums ?
Silicon sometimes carries anti foulant and wood can absorb stuff if they are
in the wrong place at the wrong time or naturally produce herbicides
(especially bark).

Richard